Wednesday, December 04, 2013

World War Kaiju - progress report!


Hello there faithful followers.  I'll bet you're wondering how World War Kaiju is coming along, and how your host Patrick is doing with the art.  Well, happy to report that things are going swimmingly.  The art for the 1st volume of WWK is well over half complete - in fact, we're up to about 54 pages and counting!

Here are a few pages for you to sink your teeth into...






Lots of work on backgrounds from Josh Finney, who is not only writing WWK, but also providing some great help by doing 3D models , such as in the first page here.  I drew the Nazi lab loosely, and Josh whipped up an amazing 3D environment for me to do the final painting over. He also did the cities in the third page down.  Working from his models, I can blend them into the painted look and not spend extra days doing all of that myself. Bravo Josh!

In addition to pages like that, there are going to be some where I get to emulate various styles from comics and illustration of the 40's though the 70's.  Here I'm using a lot of different Roger Dean ideas from his great album cover art...




 … And here's a page that reflects a definite Steranko influence from his incredible "My Love Story" issue (as well as some Kirby Krackle!):



In terms of process, you might be interested to know that I'm drawing almost completely on the computer recently. In fact for the last dozen or so pages, I've only used pencil to do the rough layout of the page, and for a few pages even that was in Photoshop. I do enjoy changing things up a bit now and then, and I feel very energized doing things differently once in a while. And it's really a lot faster, I'm finding; my drawing speed with the stylus has increased greatly over the last couple of years. Here's what a typical drawing in Photoshop looks like, and then the final colored panel:


(Spoiler - those are Martians!)

So as you can tell, I'm having a lot of fun! And hey - you might want to go to  WorldWarKaiju.com to see a lot more: previews, special features, updates, and how to pre-order the book if you haven't done so yet.

That's it for now - I'll talk to you again soon!
-Patrick



7 comments:

Tim Ward said...

They look amazing! Can't wait to get my hardback! Good job Patrick and Team Kaiju!

Paul said...

Hi Patrick. I love the art particularly the loving tributes to Roger Dean and Jim Steranko. I look forward to when the book will be finished. Keep up the great work.

Patrick McEvoy said...

Hey folks - thanks a lot on behalf of the whole Team Kaiju! :D

Anonymous said...

-Muhammad Ahmad Khan-

One word: EPIC!

amy eyrie said...

Gorgeous!

Patrick McEvoy said...

Thanks, Muhammad and Amy - Epic and gorgeous! I love it! :D

erectile dysfunction natural remedies said...

Asking questions are actually pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything fully, however this post presents nice understanding yet.